WASHINGTON [03/24/2022]—Today. U.S. Senator Tina Smith (D-MN) issued the following statement after the Senate confirmed Andy Luger to serve as U.S. Attorney for Minnesota.
“Andy Luger is exceptionally well-qualified to lead federal law enforcement efforts in Minnesota. I want to congratulate him on his confirmation to this important post,” said Sen. Smith. “I am confident that his experience, dedication to public service, and commitment to justice will help him lead the U.S. Attorney’s office in Minnesota with integrity.”
Sen. Smith and Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) formed a selection committee of legal experts and advisors in February 2021 to help vet potential candidates and made recommendations to the White House. The committee included:
- Chair John Choi, Ramsey County Attorney;
- Melanie Benjamin, Chief Executive of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe;
- Amran Farah, attorney at Greene Espel and former President of the Minnesota Association of Black Lawyers;
- David Lillehaug, former Associate Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court and a former U.S. Attorney for the District of Minnesota;
- Cecil Naatz, Managing Attorney of the Public Defender’s Office in Marshall, Minnesota;
- Thomas Smith, Training Director for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and former Chief of Police for the St. Paul Police Department; and
- Patricia Tototzintle, Chief Executive Officer of Casa de Esperanza.